The Associate of Applied Science degree in Electric Utility Technology is offered in partnership with First Energy Corporation. This program focuses on the essential skills necessary to prepare graduates for employment as a substation worker or in related technical fields. Since this program is offered in partnership with a local major utility, it gives successful graduates an advantage for future employment in the electric utility industry. In addition to classroom and laboratory instruction, students participate in hands-on experiences at utility company training facilities. Enrollment is limited, with program eligibility screening conducted by First Energy and Pennsylvania Highlands Community College prior to the start of the fall semester. Please note that this is a daytime program and students are required to participate in a ten to fourteen week compensated Summer Field Experience between June and September, following Semester II.
- Electrical Substation Worker
- Relay Tester
- Electrical Distribution Management Positions
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate work practices that comply with OSHA and safety guidelines for the electric utility industry.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of various hand tools used in the electrical utility industry.
- Operate equipment used in the maintenance, testing and repair of substation equipment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic business management and labor relations.
- Demonstrate skills in collaborative communication with team members and in the writing of technical reports.
Obtaining the Degree
To earn the Associate of Applied Science degree, students must:
- Matriculate into the program.
- Satisfactorily complete all degree requirements, including General Education and Major Requirements.
Required Equipment Needed by Student:
- Black Sharpie Pen
- Linesman Pliers
- Diagonal Pliers
- Long Nose Pliers
- Utility Knife
- Multi-meter Cat II
- Screwdriver Set (Electrical, Flat 38 Phillips, #1, #2, #3)
- Tape Measure
- Wire Strippers
- Romex Cable Ripper
- Safety Glasses
- Substation Electrician Boots
- Cordless Drill/Driver ¾” (optional)