The Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in Accounting develops accountants demonstrating the skills needed to immediately pursue a career in the field of accounting and/or provides the foundation necessary for transfer to four-year programs in Accounting. Program completers will have demonstrated understanding and application of accounting theory and practice and will have achieved a level of proficiency in related areas such as economics, and information technology. Program completers will also be afforded the opportunity to sit for the Certified Bookkeeper designation offered through the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB), which increases graduates’ ability to showcase their skillset and obtain employment.
Graduates of this program are prepared for transfer as well as entry-level accounting positions in all types of business environments including public accounting, manufacturing, retail, wholesale, service businesses, government, and not-for-profit agencies. In addition, this program will enhance the skills of those already employed in the field and those interested in starting or building their own business.
- Public or Private Accounting
- Financial Statement Preparation/Analysis
- Products Costing
- Technology Services/Designing Accounting systems
- Payroll Specialist
- Federal Tax Return Preparation and Advice
- General Accounting/Accounting Assistant
- Assistant/Junior/Staff Accountant
- Inventory Specialist/Analyst
- Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Develop, measure, analyze, validate, and communicate financial information for use in proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations.
- Complete the entire accounting cycle, including payroll.
- Use automated accounting software to develop, measure, analyze, validate, and communicate financial information.
Transfer Agreement Availability:
- Juniata College
- Mount Aloysius College
- St. Francis University
Obtaining the Degree
To earn the Associate of Applied Science degree, students must:
- Matriculate into the program.
- Satisfactorily complete all degree requirements, including General Education and Major requirements.