The Associate of Applied Science in Media Production degree provides students with a unique blend of three major communication fields: television production, radio production and e-based technologies. This program utilizes a 'hands-on' approach whenever feasible, to provide the student with a comprehensive foundation of the theory and skills vital in the broadcast and print medium, as well as the private and corporate communications fields.
An emphasis is placed on the writing and performance skills required by the student in the areas of broadcast journalism, documentary production, commercial and dramatic production, and video/multi-media/Internet presentation for business and industry as well as the technical skills required in these endeavors.
Upon completion, students will have a firm knowledge of the written, oral and technical skills required in commercial radio, television, independent video production, along with the multi-media/Internet techniques used in varied production areas.
Television and radio are a strong force that generates and supports instant communication to the public which the public has come to expect and demand. On-air and on-screen personalities command respect and admiration today and the need for those personalities and the technicians who provide the venue for them to broadcast is continuously growing. Radio and television are here to stay as viable means of communication. A Media Production graduate will have the background and knowledge necessary to succeed in this very exciting and evolving field in careers that include:
- on-air personality
- radio news reporter
- radio and television program writer/producer
- television operations engineer
- audio engineer
- various studio positions
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Analyze media's impact on the public.
- Work in a professional and ethical manner respecting legal, social, and cultural responsibilities of the field.
- Operate audio, video or film equipment.
- Produce audio, video, film or multimedia projects.
- Direct or perform as voice or acting talent.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a professional and ethical manner respecting legal, social, and cultural responsibilities of the field.
Obtaining the Degree
To earn the Associate of Applied Science degree, students must:
- Matriculate into the program.
- Satisfactorily complete all degree requirements, including General Education and Major Requirements of the degree.