The Associate of Applied Science Degree in Health Professions - Paramedic is a structured educational approach to preparing healthcare professionals that function in emergency medical services. Applicants must possess current Pennsylvania Certification as an Emergency Medical Technician. Paramedics provide advanced levels of care for acute medical problems and trauma. Coursework emphasizes scientific knowledge, clinical and field experience, and caring abilities in the role of pre-hospital medicine. Students complete 400 hours of classroom instruction, including 100 hours of skill laboratory time, and 500 clinical hours as part of the Conemaugh curriculum. Upon completion of the Conemaugh program, students receive a certificate and are eligible to sit for the National Registry EMT-P exam which serves as Pennsylvania's State Paramedic Exam. Earning the associate degree provides students with career ladder opportunities including the ability to pursue a bachelor's degree in emergency medical services or other health related professions.
The program is offered in partnership with the hospital based paramedic program at Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center. The College provides classroom instruction and the hospital based program provides specialized classroom and clinical experience.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements and receipt of Pennsylvania certification, graduates will have numerous opportunities for employment, continuing education, and professional growth and advancement.
- Emergency Medical Services practitioner in a variety of settings
- Emergency Dispatcher
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Assume the role as a caring, competent, entry-level emergency health care provider.
- Utilize critical thinking strategies and decision-making strategies in role performance.
- Provide care in a responsible, accountable manner within ethico-legal dimensions.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and participate in illness and injury prevention programs for the
Obtaining the Degree
To earn the Associate of Applied Science degree, students must:
- Apply to Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center and be accepted into the hospital-based paramedic diploma program.
- Satisfactorily pass the comprehensive final exam in the hospital-based paramedic certificate program at Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center.
- Satisfactorily pass the National Registry EMT-P Exam and receive Pennsylvania certification as a paramedic.
- Satisfactorily complete all degree requirements including college courses and all hospital based courses.