The Office Technology Essentials Certificate is an entry-level program for persons needing enhanced computer skills. It serves three primary purposes: 1) to provide basic computer literacy skills for displaced workers or others needing to improve computer skills, 2) to provide enhanced computer skills and/or credentials for workers in a computerized office work environment, and 3) to enable advanced credentialing for individuals wishing to complete an Associate Degree in a related field of study.
The certificate program focuses on the basic knowledge necessary to work in the Windows environment on a day-to-day basis and acquisition of essential office skills in word processing and English composition, spreadsheet development, business mathematics and communications strategies. Students are also offered electives that provide entry-level skills in Web page development, computer graphics, database management, project management or multimedia presentations.
For those students wishing to pursue an advanced degree, it should be noted that as much as 89% of the earned certificate credits may apply towards an advanced degree, depending on the degree selected.
- Office Assistant
- Word Processing Technician
- Data Entry Clerk
- Web Page Maintainer
- Digital Graphics Editor
- Multimedia Editor
Upon completion of the certificate, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate day-to-day working knowledge of the Windows environment.
- Demonstrate the use of the most commonly found business computer applications to create professionally formatted documents.
- Demonstrate the ability to edit or create effective specialty documents such as Web pages, digital images, data base elements, or multimedia presentations.
- Demonstrate the use of essential communication skills to become an effective member of an organization.
Obtaining the Certificate
To earn the certificate, the student must:
- Matriculate into the program.
- Develop an advising worksheet.
- Satisfactorily complete all certificate requirements, including General Education Core and Technical Core.