The Certificate in Early Childhood Management and Leadership is designed for current and future directors and owners of Early Care and Education programs. Topics include leadership; program quality; health, safety and nutrition; organization and administration; business management; and curriculum and pedagogy. All courses use an inclusive educational model. This certificate meets the academic requirements for the Pennsylvania Early Learning Keys to Quality Director Core Certificate.
Upon successful completion of the certificate program a student is academically eligible to apply for the PA Key Director Core Certificate. Students graduating from this program should be preferred candidates for director positions in programs participating in Pennsylvania’s Quality Initiative: Keystone Stars.
Special Program Entry Requirements
Students who enroll in the PA Director Core Certificate must have one of the following pre-requisites: 1) have an associate’s degree in early childhood education, child development, special education or elementary education, or 2) have an associate’s degree in any other field, including 18 credit hours of early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education, or 3) have a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education. Students who do not meet the above requirements may register for the course as a program elective with the signature of their advisor. Intermediate experience with computers such as CIT100 Microcomputer applications is required.
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the promotion of positive relationships in verbal, non-verbal, and written communications for all children and adults, including staff, parent, and the community.
- Implement, monitor, evaluate, and revise curricula that foster growth in all domains of child development including cognitive, emotional, language, physical, social, and spiritual area.
- Use developmentally, culturally, diverse, and linguistically appropriate and effective teaching approaches and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Be able to identify or design and implement ongoing assesments of child progress, and use qualitative and quantitative evaluation to assess effectiveness of desired outcomes.
- Use technology and personal conferences to communicate the importance of nutrition, health, and safety of children, staff, parents (guardians), and visitors.
- Employ and support qualified teaching staff by establishing standards for employment, staff development, and retention through the development of relevant policies, procedures, and forms.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with families through the development of many forms of communication including the use of technology.
- Establish and maintain relationships and use resources of the community by participating in collaborative programs that advance awareness of professional child care and early child hood education and demonstrating the incorporation of information into management activities.
- Provide a safe and healthy physical environment through application of the federal, state, and local regulations plus the application of best practice standards and accreditation as indicated through the developments of policy, procedure, and practice, inclusive of the special needs of all children.
- Implement strong program management policies that result in high-quality service using leadership concepts, best business practice, and adherence to the laws and regulations of the federal, state, and local governments.
Obtaining the Certificate
To earn the certificate, the student must:
- Matriculate into the program by completing a program declaration and an Advising form.
- Comply with the College’s requirement to have current Act 34, Act 114, and Act 151 clearances that indicate “no record” on file with the Registrar’s Office or a letter stating that the current place of employment accepts the existing clearances as current and of “no record” (required by Pa State Regulations).
- Satisfactorily complete all certificate requirements.