The Associate of Applied Science degree in Business Management develops leaders at various levels for business, industry, and public service organizations in the Cambria County region. The thrust of the program is to meet management training needs of organizations and to develop entrepreneurs. Therefore, the program is continually reviewed and developed in partnership with the business/industry community. The program is organized around four educational themes, which address the need for well-prepared, confident, and technically competent people who can assume leadership roles in entry-level management, and as entrepreneurs:
- General business knowledge and skills provided through courses such as Accounting, Introduction to Business, Small Business Management, Business Law, as well as computer and communication skills courses.
- Introduction to comparative theories and concepts of leadership through courses such as Management Principles, Labor Management Relations, and Human Resource Management.
- Introduction to Total Quality Management principles and concepts through courses such as Total Quality Management and Management Principles. An underlying assumption is that effective leadership and management in the workforce depends not just on vertical line/staff relations, but also on commitment to team building, team problem solving, and lateral cooperative management.
- Technological literacy, knowledge of computers, and understanding that the world in which we live is increasingly dependent upon technology.
- Employment Interviewer
- Assistant Manager
- Retail Manager
- Small Business Owner and Operator
- Technical Sales Representative
- Personnel/Human Resources Manager
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate computer literacy and basic knowledge of computer technologies.
- Demonstrate Total Quality Management principles and concepts in relation to business and industry.
- Show a perspective on organizational change and/or the need for agility within an organization.
- Use team participation and cooperative business skills for working effectively with other people in the workplace.
- Understand the importance of the public/customer regarding operating a business and maintaining a focus on customer satisfaction.
- Employ time management skills to improve performance in the workplace and to balance family responsibilities.
- Demonstrate leadership and management skills necessary to motivate employees, set goals, and obtain results.
- Demonstrate strong communication and critical thinking skills including reading, writing, organizing, evaluating, problem solving, and presentation skills.
- Understand how to lead in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrate a general business knowledge and skills base necessary to compete in today’s business world.
- Use mathematical and logical skills related to the workplace.
- Demonstrate a sense of professional and personal integrity, self-esteem, and willingness to receive and to give constructive praise and criticism.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the need for leadership in today’s complex technology-intensive society.
- Employ entrepreneurial skills necessary to develop and manage his or her own business.
Obtaining The Degree
To earn the Associate of Applied Science degree, students must:
- Matriculate into the program.
- Satisfactorily complete all degree requirements, including the General Education Core, and Technical Core.