Workforce development is a vehicle to enhance the skills of workers and potential workers, in order to retain current employers and attract new employers to the area. Pennsylvania Highlands recognizes that improving the quality of life depends upon economic development. Contingent on advancing economically is having a qualified and skilled work force. Consequently, the College provides comprehensive assessment of employer/employee needs for training by developing and offering customized programs according to assessed needs, for private businesses, industries, and other agencies in the communities we serve.
Workforce Education Goals
- To provide comprehensive assessment services to firms within the region.
- To enhance the current skills of employees.
- To provide the necessary training to improve the skill transferability of displaced workers and workers with disabilities.
- To act as a catalyst to attract business/industry to the area because of our ability to train the needed talent pool.
- To act as an in-house consulting agent for the development of degree granting and certification programs.
- To provide certification programs in occupations that meet specific business and industry skill requirements.
- To provide customized training to meet the needs of its customer.
Customized Workforce Training
A prime regional leader in Workforce Education, the Pennsylvania Highlands Workforce Continuing Education department has provided training to over 25,000 employees in the Southern Alleghenies over the past 15 years. Many organizations and businesses have limits on how, when, and where they can conduct training. We work with business and industry to devise a strategy that best meets a company’s needs within a time frame and budget that supports its core mission.
Our staff works with company personnel to determine specific needs, including availability and competencies of employees, identifying and developing a curriculum, and determining outcomes that will support the goals established by a company’s strategic plan.
Whether it is on-site or at one of the College’s regional facilities, or through a hybrid approach such as combining online with classroom training, our goal is to improve a business’s operations and help the economic vitality of the region. In pursuit of this goal, we want to make Pennsylvania Highlands the college of choice when it comes to workforce education.
We are ready to work for you! Get started today by calling 814.262.3815.
A sampling of the workshops and courses provided through Workforce Continuing Education:
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Word
- PC Basics
- Using the Internet
- Web Page Design
- Basic Accounting
- Basic Mathematics
- Basic Writing Skills
- Business Letter & Report Writing
- Business Office Etiquette
- Creating a Social Media Plan for My Business
- Customer Service (Healthcare focus, hospitality focus, general)
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Facilitator Training
- Grant Writing
- Interpersonal Communications
- Leadership Training
- Making the Most of Networking Opportunities
- Management Training
- Problem Solving Skills
- Project Management
- Selling Skills Training
- ServSafe Certification
- Sexual Harassment
- Spanish in the Workplace
- Stress Management
- Supervisory Training Skills
- Team Building
- Technical Writing
- Time Management
- Workplace Safety
Advanced Manufacturing Skills
- Blueprint Reading
- Design for Manufacturing
- Industrial Electrical Training
- Risk Management in Manufacturing
Quality & Continuous Improvement Tools
- 5S/6S for the Workplace
- ISO-9001: 2008 Internal Auditor Training
- Lean Familiarization Training
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification
- Value Stream Mapping
Continuing Education Units (CEU)
Industry specific Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are awarded based on hours of contact. The CEU is a nationally recognized unit of measure to record an individual’s continued education in his/her field or in an area of professional development. For more information about CEUs contact Workforce Education at 814-262-3815.
Pennsylvania Highlands is a managing program partner with the Pennsylvania Department of Community & Economic Development of the Workforce & Economic Development Network (WEDnetPA) program. We are the primary business and industry contact in the Southern Alleghenies Region for WEDnetPA.
The mission of WEDnetPA is to “strengthen the business environment of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by providing a training network that is responsive to employer’s workforce development needs.” WEDnetPA was created by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to assist employers with the cost of training their employees that are engaged in high-priority occupations.
To find out if your company qualifies for the WEDnetPA Grant, contact Julie Davis at 814.262.3813 or email@example.com for more information.