Jun 26, 2022  
2009 - 2010 Catalog 
2009 - 2010 Catalog Archives - Prior Version



Registration is the process of selecting courses and completing the necessary documents to have the selections entered into the College records. Registrations are not considered to be official until payment for all related charges has been made.

The dates for registration periods are listed within the class schedules for each academic session. The schedule is posted online at the College’s website.

Unit of Credit

Pennsylvania Highlands Community College awards credit hours based on the semester hour system. Credits are based on attendance in a specified number of lecture or laboratory hours. The number of credits assigned to each course is provided within the course description.

Freshman / Sophomore Student Designations

Students who have successfully completed 1 to 24 credits are considered to be freshmen-level. Students who have successfully completed 25 or more credits are considered to be sophomore-level.

Academic Year

The College defines an academic year as 24 credits and 32 weeks for all forms of financial aid. Fall and spring semesters are typically comprised of 15 weeks of formal instruction plus a one-week final examination period. Summer sessions may range from 3 to 12 weeks in length. Additional information may be obtained by consulting the Academic Calendar.

Maximum Course Load for Students

Pennsylvania Highlands has established maximum credit loads for our students based on semester length. For 15-week terms, students are permitted to register for up to 18 credits. For shorter terms the maximums are as follows: 12 credits for 12-week terms, 9credits for 7-week and 6-week terms, 6 credits for terms shorter than 6 weeks. These maximums were created to provide the best opportunity for students to achieve academic success. Students who wish to register for credits above the maximums established are required to obtain written approval from an academic advisor and the Vice President and Dean of Academic Affairs.

Change of Major

Students who wish to declare or change their major must complete a Declaration or Change of Major Form. A change of major may require a change in the assigned academic advisor. This form may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office or on the web at www.pennhighlands.edu/forms.

Change of Address

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the College of changes in residency or contact information. The student must complete and sign a Change of Student Information Form and return it to the Registrar’s Office. Once the Registrar’s Office receives the completed form, changes will be made accordingly.

Public Information Regarding Students

The College has designated the following student information as public or “Directory Information.” Such information may be disclosed by the College at its discretion to individuals, agencies, and institutions for purposes relating to activities approved by and associated with Pennsylvania Highlands Community College. This information may be released without the prior consent of a student.

  • Name
  • Address
  • Email Address
  • Program of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Participation in officially recognized sports and activities

Currently enrolled students have the right to withhold disclosure of all (not partial) categories of public information. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received in the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the second week for the semester or summer session in which the withholding of Directory Information is to take effect. Students are cautioned that withholding information can have adverse consequences when we are unable to verify attendance or degrees to agencies, insurance companies, or prospective employers. Former students and alumni are not covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Therefore, the College is not obligated to honor requests for non-disclosure of public information from former students.

Schedule Changes

In some instances, students may opt to make changes in their schedules once they have been officially registered. Exchanging a scheduled course for another may be done prior to the end of the official Add/Drop Period by completing an Add/Drop Form.


Certain classes may have prerequisite coursework assigned to them to ensure adequate preparation for the material to be presented. Students who opt to pursue registration in a course without prior completion of the prerequisites must complete a Course Prerequisite Waiver Form. These requests require the approval of the appropriate Associate Dean.

Dropping Classes

Once a semester begins, students may make changes to their schedule by completing and signing the Add/Drop Form. These forms may be obtained at either College location or the College’s website. Students who wish to add or drop a course must do so within the Add/Drop period designated by the College each semester. A student may be charged a fee each time an Add/Drop Form is completed. The date used to drop is the date the form is submitted. Students should consult their academic advisor before dropping a course.

No course can be dropped after the Add/Drop period is over except in special circumstances as determined by the Vice President and Dean of Academic Affairs in consultation with the faculty member.

Repeating Courses

A student may repeat a course in which he or she earns a D or F. Students may only repeat a course once. In this case, the grade earned on the repeat attempt is used to calculate the grade point average. The students’ transcript will continue to carry the first grade earned in the course, but the first grade will not be calculated into the student’s grade point average.

Grade Reports

At the end of each semester, the College will mail or provide electronic access to a grade report to each student. Students with an outstanding financial obligation will not receive a grade report until the obligation has been satisfied through the Bursar’s Office.

Course Audit

Pennsylvania Highlands Community College seeks to encourage students and members of the general public to see learning as a life-long endeavor. Participation in continuing education can enrich the lives of young and old alike by opening opportunities to develop new friendships, new perspectives, and new skills.

Auditing a course is just one of the many ways individuals can participate in continuing education at Pennsylvania Highlands. Course auditors do not receive a grade or credit for the class and the level of participation such as completion of exams, papers, projects, etc. is usually negotiated between the student and the instructor.

Those wishing to audit a course must complete and return a Request to Audit Form to the Registrar. This form must be submitted prior to the end of the Add/Drop period of the semester. Once the form has been submitted and processed, audit status cannot be changed. Permission to audit will only be granted if there are seats available in the course. Audit students will be on Stand-by Status until the end of the Add/Drop Period. Once the Add/Drop period is over and seats are available the audit student’s status will be finalized.

Students who elect to audit a course will be assessed a special audit rate. Residents of Cambria County age 55 and older may audit a course at a significantly reduced “Senior Audit” rate. The student is responsible for payment of any fees associated with an audited course.

Verification of Enrollment

The College will release verification of enrollment status to current students on a semester basis. An Enrollment Verification Request Form must be completed and signed by the student. Forms received in the Registrar’s Office will be completed within two business days. Enrollment Verification cannot be completed more than two weeks prior to the start of the semester.


The College will provide official transcripts of a student’s academic record upon receipt of a signed Transcript Request Form and verification from the Bursar’s Office that all financial obligations to the College are met. The Transcript Request Form can be obtained at either Pennsylvania Highlands’ facility or on the College’s web site. Telephone requests will not be honored. Official transcripts are mailed directly to the recipient indicated on the form. Copies of transcripts hand-delivered to students will be considered unofficial. Fax service of unofficial transcripts is available.

Withdrawal Process

Students who wish to withdraw from a course after the end of the Add/Drop period must complete an Add/Drop Form. In no case should a student rely on a verbal statement as evidence of withdrawal. Official withdrawal requires the student’s signature. The completed Add/Drop Form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. The College does not withdraw a student due to non-attendance.

  • A student who withdraws from a class after the Add/Drop period or before the end of the 8th week of a 15-week semester; 6th week of a 12-week semester; 4th week of a 7-week semester; 3rd week of a 5-week semester; 8th day of a 3-week semester; 3rd day of a 1-week semester, will receive a “W” for the final grade.
  • A student who withdraws from a class after the 8th week of a 15-week semester; 6th week of a 12-week semester; 4th week of a 7-week semester; 3rd week of a 5-week semester; 8th day of a 3-week semester; 3rd day of a 1-week semester, will receive an “F” as a final grade.

A student may withdraw from a course after the withdrawal period and not receive a “F” as a final grade, only when the following two conditions exist:

  • A written appeal for mitigating circumstances has been submitted to the Registrar. The appeal must then be approved.
  • The student is passing the course with a grade of “C” or better at the date of withdrawal.

Students who withdraw from a class under the above conditions will receive a “W” for a final grade. Add/Drop Form submissions will be charged appropriate processing fees.

Total Semester Withdrawal

Students who wish to withdraw from all courses after the start of a semester must complete and sign a Total Semester Withdrawal Form. This form may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office. The student will be required to meet with an academic advisor, Financial Aid Office (if receiving financial aid), and the Bursar’s Office. A fee is charged for withdrawing from all courses. Grades will be determined according to the withdrawal process. Any refund of tuition and fees will be determined by the tuition refund policy.

Students who are not physically capable of completing the Total Semester Withdrawal Form may withdrawal orally by meeting with the Registrar. The Registrar will then complete the withdrawal form on the student’s behalf.

Involuntary Withdrawal

The College reserves the right to cancel a student’s registration at anytime for just cause, whether financial, academic, or disciplinary. Any refund of tuition and fees will be determined by the tuition refund policy.

Medical Withdrawal

The Vice President for Student Services and Institutional Advancement may grant medical withdrawals at any time to students who must withdraw from courses for medical reasons. A request for medical withdrawal should be filed as soon as possible, no later than the end of the semester. Proper medical documentation will be required. Students who receive medical withdrawals must obtain permission from the Vice President for Student Services and Institutional Advancement prior to enrolling again at Pennsylvania Highlands.

Military Leave

A student who is called to active duty during the semester and provides a copy of appropriate military orders may choose one of the following options:

  1. A student may choose to do a total semester withdrawal from all of his/her classes, and receive a full refund for tuition and fees. This option requires that the student withdraw from every course and receive no grade for any course taken during the semester. Any student who has elected to use this option may be readmitted for the next semester in which the student wishes to return. The student’s academic standing at the time of readmission shall remain as it was prior to the call to active military duty.
  2. If a substantial part of the semester has been completed by the student and the student is called for active military duty, the student may meet with each instructor to determine an appropriate course of action. An incomplete grade may be assigned with an extended time period for completion.

Course Cancellation

The College plans to offer all courses as advertised in the Course Schedule. In the event that a course must be cancelled, each student registered will be notified by telephone and/or writing. Students will be encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to enroll in an alternative course which will meet graduation requirements. The College does not guarantee the availability of an alternative course solely on the basis of individual convenience or preference.