Aug 16, 2022  
2014 - 2015 Catalog 
2014 - 2015 Catalog Archives - Prior Version



Registration is the process of selecting courses and completing the necessary processes to have the selections entered into the College records. Payment for all related charges must be made by the tuition due date specified for the semester.

Dates for registration periods are listed in the Academic Calendar.

Unit of Credit

Pennsylvania Highlands Community College awards credit hours based on the semester hour system. Credits are based on attendance in a specified number of lecture or laboratory hours. The number of credits assigned to each course is provided within the course descriptions.

Freshman / Sophomore Student Designations

Students who have successfully completed 1 to 24 credits are considered to be freshmen-level. Students who have successfully completed 25 or more credits are considered to be sophomore-level.

In-County Student / Out-of-County Student Designations

The legal residence of the student determines tuition rates. Residence is defined as the place where the student lives and which is the student’s permanent residence. A student who temporarily moves to attend the College will not be considered as having established a bona fide residency.

  • Cambria County: In-county tuition rates will be charged for any student whose legal residence is within the boundaries of Cambria County.
  • Regional: Regional tuition rates will be charged to students whose legal residence is within the boundaries of Blair, Bedford, Somerset, Huntingdon, and Fulton Counties.
  • Out-of-County: Out-of-county tuition rates will be charged to students whose legal residence is located within Pennsylvania but outside the boundaries of Cambria, Blair, Bedford, Somerset, Huntingdon, and Fulton Counties.
  • Out-of-state: Out-of-state tuition rates will be charged to students who have not established legal residence within the state of Pennsylvania.

In-state students must establish legal residence at least ninety days prior to the start of the semester. Students relocating to the state of Pennsylvania must establish legal residence within the state at least one-year prior to the start of the semester.

Reclassification of Residency

Prior to or at the time of registration, a student whose tuition would be affected by a change in residency must present proof of their actual address. Proof of residency must be submitted to the Dean of Enrollment Services and Registrar before the start of the semester.

Tuition rates start the first day of the semester. Tuition rates may change if false information is given or if information is entered incorrectly in the College database.

Any student who changes residence during a semester will not have his/her tuition adjusted during the semester, but may be subject to such adjustments during following semesters.

To Prove Residency a Student Must Provide One of the Following:

  • Current property tax receipt showing name, address, county or school district.
  • Current Pennsylvania Drivers License with an issue date at least 90 days prior to the start of the semester.
  • Proof of payment of local wage tax showing name and address.
  • Electric bill with name, address, and date of 90 days prior to the start of the semester or one year for out-of-state students.
  • A notarized letter from the landlord, family member, or companion stating the beginning date of continuous occupancy. A current notarized letter must be submitted each semester with the registration form.

Penalties for Misrepresenting Residency

  • A student’s account will be adjusted and the student will be required to pay the corrected amount.
  • If the student fails to pay the corrected amount of tuition, the student will be prohibited from registering for future classes until the amount due is paid.
  • No release of grades, transcripts, degrees, diplomas, or certificates, will occur until the student’s account is paid in full.
  • The student may be referred to the legal system for fraud, which is a felony punishable in criminal court under Pennsylvania Law.

Academic Year

The College defines an academic year as 24 credits and 30 weeks for all forms of financial aid. Fall and spring semesters are typically comprised of 15 weeks of formal instruction. The summer term is generally 12 weeks in length. See the Academic Calendar for additional information.

Maximum Course Load for Students

Pennsylvania Highlands has established maximum credit loads for our students based on semester length. For 15-week terms, students are permitted to register for up to 18 credits. For shorter terms the maximums are as follows: 12 credits for 12-week terms, 9 credits for 7-week and 6-week terms, 6 credits for terms shorter than 6 weeks. These maximums were created to provide the best opportunity for students to achieve academic success. Students who wish to register for credits above the maximums established are required to obtain written approval from an academic advisor and the Vice President and Dean of Academic Affairs.

Change of Major

Students who wish to change their major must complete a Change of Major Form. A change of major may require a change in the assigned academic advisor. This form may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office or via the myPEAK portal.

Change of Address

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the College of changes in residency or contact information. The student must notify the Registrar’s Office of any changes by updating their information on the myPEAK portal or by submitting a completed Change of Student Information Form.

Public Information Regarding Students

The College has designated the following student information as public or “Directory Information.” Such information may be disclosed by the College at its discretion to individuals, agencies, and institutions for purposes relating to activities approved by and associated with Pennsylvania Highlands Community College. This information may be released without the prior consent of a student.

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • College-issued email address
  • Program of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Participation in officially recognized sports and activities

Currently enrolled students have the right to withhold disclosure of all (not partial) categories of public information. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received in the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the second week for the semester or summer session in which the withholding of Directory Information is to take effect. Students are cautioned that withholding information can have adverse consequences when we are unable to verify attendance or degrees to agencies, insurance companies, or prospective employers. Former students and alumni are not covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Therefore, the College is not obligated to honor requests for non-disclosure of public information from former students.

Schedule Changes

In some instances, students may opt to make changes in their schedules once they have been officially registered. Exchanging a scheduled course for another may be done prior to the end of the official Add/Drop Period via the myPEAK portal or by completing an Add/Drop Form.


Certain classes may have prerequisite coursework assigned to them to ensure adequate preparation for the material to be presented. Students who opt to pursue registration in a course without prior completion of the prerequisites must complete a Course Prerequisite Waiver Form. These requests require the approval of the Dean of Instruction.

Adding/Dropping Classes

Once a semester begins, students may make changes to their schedule through the myPEAK portal or by completing and signing an Add/Drop Form. These forms may be obtained online at the College’s website. Students who wish to add or drop a course must do so within the Add/Drop period designated by the College each semester. The date used to drop is the date the change is made via the myPEAK portal or the date the form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Students should consult their academic advisor before dropping a course. Schedule changes may also impact a student’s financial aid eligibility.

No course can be added after the Add/Drop period is over except in special circumstances as determined by the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Services in consultation with the faculty member.

Repeating Courses

A student may repeat a course in which he or she earns a D or F. Students may repeat a course twice. The student’s transcript will continue to carry all grades earned in the course. Only the last grade earned will be used in the calculation of the student’s grade point average.

Grade Reports

At the end of each semester, students may view their grades via the myPEAK portal. Students with an outstanding financial obligation will not have access to their grades until the obligation has been satisfied through the Bursar’s Office.

Course Audit

Pennsylvania Highlands Community College seeks to encourage students and members of the general public to see learning as a life-long endeavor. Participation in continuing education can enrich the lives of young and old alike by opening opportunities to develop new friendships, new perspectives, and new skills.

Auditing a course is just one of the many ways individuals can participate in continuing education at Pennsylvania Highlands. Course auditors do not receive a grade or credit for the class and the level of participation such as completion of exams, papers, projects, etc. is usually negotiated between the student and the instructor.

Those wishing to audit a course must complete and return a Request to Audit Form to the Registrar’s Office. This form must be submitted prior to the end of the Add/Drop period of the semester. Once the form has been submitted and processed, audit status cannot be changed. Permission to audit will only be granted if there are seats available in the course. Audit students will be on Stand-by Status until the end of the Add/Drop Period. Once the Add/Drop period is over and seats are available the audit student’s status will be finalized.

Students who elect to audit a course will be assessed a special audit rate. Students age 55 and older may audit a course at a significantly reduced “Senior Audit” rate. The student is responsible for payment of any fees associated with an audited course.

Verification of Enrollment

Currently enrolled students may obtain verification of their enrollment status via the myPeak portal.


The College provides two options for requesting a transcript. Transcripts can be ordered and sent electronically through the College’s website via Docufied for a $3.00 per transcript charge payable to Docufied. Alternatively, students may obtain a paper transcript free of charge by completing The Transcript Request Form available online at or at the Registrar’s Office. Telephone requests will not be honored. Official transcripts will be mailed or emailed directly to the recipient indicated on the form. Copies of transcripts hand-delivered to students will be considered unofficial. Unofficial transcripts may be obtained via the myPEAK portal.

Withdrawal Process

Students who wish to withdraw from a course after the end of the Add/Drop period must complete an Add/Drop Form. In no case should a student rely on a verbal statement as evidence of withdrawal. Official withdrawal requires the student’s signature. The completed Add/Drop Form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Non-attendance does not constitute official withdrawal.

  • A student who withdraws from a class after the Add/Drop period or before the end of the 8th week of a 15-week semester; 6th week of a 12-week semester; 4th week of a 7-week semester; 3rd week of a 5-week semester; 8th day of a 3-week semester; 3rd day of a 1-week semester, will receive a “W” for the final grade.
  • A student is not permitted to withdraw from a class after the 8th week of a 15-week semester; 6th week of a 12-week semester; 4th week of a 7-week semester; 3rd week of a 5-week semester; 8th day of a 3-week semester; 3rd day of a 1-week semester, and will receive a final grade as assigned by the instructor.

A student may withdraw from a course after the withdrawal period and not receive a “F” as a final grade, only when the following two conditions exist:

  • The student is passing the course with a grade of “C” or better at the date of withdrawal.
  • A written appeal detailing extenuating circumstances has been submitted to the Dean of Enrollment Services and Registrar. The appeal must then be approved.

Students who withdraw from a class under the above conditions will receive a “W” for a final grade.

Total Semester Withdrawal

Students who wish to withdraw from all courses after the Add/Drop period of the semester, but before the deadline for Withdrawal must complete and sign a Total Semester Withdrawal Form. A “W” grade will be assigned for the withdrawn course(s).

Students who are not physically capable of completing the Total Semester Withdrawal Form may withdrawal orally by contacting the Dean of Enrollment Services and Registrarwho will then complete the withdrawal form on the student’s behalf.

Involuntary Withdrawal

The College reserves the right to cancel a student’s registration at any time for just cause, whether financial, academic, or disciplinary. Eligibility for refund of tuition and fees will be determined by the tuition refund policy.

Medical Withdrawal

Students who experience serious medical issues following the withdrawal period may request a medical withdrawal. Medical Withdrawal Request forms may be obtained by contacting the Registrar’s Office. Completed forms must be submitted with proper medical documentation and must be received prior to the end of the semester. Dates provided on medical documentation and the date of the request submission will be considered when evaluating Medical Withdrawal Requests. Prior to returning to the College after an approved Medical Withdrawal, a student must meet with and receive approval from the Vice President for Student Services.

In order to be considered for a medical withdrawal, students must meet the following requirements:

  • Passing semester courses with a grade of “C” or better at the date of withdrawal.
  • Provide a written summary of the medical circumstances which are preventing the completion of the semester.

Military Tuition

Active duty military personnel stationed in Cambria County and their authorized family members will receive Cambria County Resident tuition rates. To qualify for these tuition rates, the student must submit a copy of appropriate military orders and a Verification of U.S. Armed Forces Assignment Form to the Bursar’s Office on an annual basis.

Military Leave

A student who is called to active duty during the semester and provides a copy of appropriate military orders may choose one of the following options:

  1. A student may choose to do a total semester withdrawal from all of his/her classes, and receive a full refund for tuition and fees. This option requires that the student withdraw from every course and receive no grade for any course taken during the semester. Any student who has elected to use this option may be readmitted for the next semester in which the student wishes to return. The student’s academic standing at the time of readmission shall remain as it was prior to the call to active military duty.
  2. If a substantial part of the semester has been completed by the student and the student is called for active military duty, the student may meet with each instructor to determine an appropriate course of action. An incomplete grade may be assigned with an extended time period for completion.

Course Cancellation

The College plans to offer all courses as advertised in the Course Schedule. In the event that a course must be cancelled, each student registered will be notified. Students will be encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to enroll in an alternative course which will meet graduation requirements. The College does not guarantee the availability of an alternative course solely on the basis of individual convenience or preference.